Tuesday Teaser/Opening ~ Death, Taxes, and a French Manicure


Death, Taxes, and a French Manicure: A Tara Holloway Novel by Diane Kelly reminds me of the Stephanie Plum series. Back in the days when I still loved it. The main character has that same kind of voice that makes me laugh out loud. Hopefully, Diane Kelly won't beat this series into the ground like Janet Evanovitch did.

Blurb:
Tara Holloway has got your number. A special agent on the IRS’s payroll, she’s dead-set on making sure that money crimes don’t pay…

Tax cheats, beware: The Treasury Department’s Criminal Investigations Division has a new special agent on its payroll. A recovering tomboy with a head for numbers, Tara’s fast becoming the Annie Oakley of the IRS—kicking ass, taking social security numbers, and keeping the world safe for honest taxpayers. Or else.

Tara’s latest mission finds her in hot pursuit of ice-cream vendor Joseph “Joe Cool” Cullen. Along with frozen treats he’s selling narcotics—and failing to report his ill-gotten gains on his tax returns. Over Tara’s dead body. Then there’s Michael Gryder, who appears to be operating a Ponzi scheme…with banker Stan Shelton…whose lake house is being landscaped by Brett Ellington…who happens to be dating Tara. If following that money trail isn’t tough enough, now Tara must face a new conundrum: Should she invest her trust in Brett—or put him behind bars? New love always comes at a cost but justice? Priceless.

Opening:
When I was nine, I formed a Silly Putty pecker for my Ken doll, knowing he'd have no chance of fulfilling Barbie's needs given the permanent state of erectile dysfunction with which the toy designers at Mattel had cursed him. I knew a little more about sex than most girls, what with growing up in the country and all. The first time I saw our neighbor's Black Angus bull mount an unsuspecting heifer, my two older brothers explained it all to me.

Teaser:
Brett's eyes roamed over me, sizing me up. "So if I don't get my assets filed on time, would you come after me?"
"Yep." My gaze locked on his for a moment, then I let my eyes roam up and down his body in return. "I might even seize your assets."


Tuesdays is a weekly bookish meme, hosted by MizB of Should Be Reading. Anyone can play along! Just do the following: Grab your current readOpen to a random pageShare two (2) “teaser” sentences from somewhere on that page. BE CAREFUL NOT TO INCLUDE SPOILERS! (make sure that what you share doesn’t give too much away! You don’t want to ruin the book for others!)Share the title & author, too, so that other TT participants can add the book to their TBR Lists if they like your teasers! To see what others are sharing on the Teaser Tuesdays, check the comments at:: http://shouldbereading.wordpress.com/ 






Share the first paragraph (or a few) from a book you are reading. Here's the link: Bibliophile By The Sea

10 comments:

  1. Do I dare ask what happened to the Stephanie Plum series? Sounds like you were severely disappointed :( Although I wasn't too sure about the beginning I absolutely loved the Teaser! Subtext is one of my favourite things, especially when combined with that much sass! I might have to add this one to my TBR pile ;)
    Thanks for sharing :) I hope you have a great week!
    My Tuesday post
    Juli @ Universe in Words

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stephanie Plum just went on too long. Obviously, not everyone feels that way because they still sell well, but for me, it started feeling like retreads of the same joke. The first twelve or so were well worth reading though.

      Delete
  2. I wasn't a huge fan of the Stephanie Plum series. I got tired of the same old, same old after about 3 books. I know I'm in the minority. This sounds like a fun read. My teaser & giveaway

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You were ahead of the curve. Others have given it up as well. There's just no character growth.

      Delete
  3. I still mean to start on the Janet Evanovich books one day, thanks for reminding me. I'll probably try those before these.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like fun, light and full of humor...thanks for sharing. And thanks for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's new! An IRS investigator as the heroine. I like it. I also like the intro and would definitely keep reading. Sounds like a fun read. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete