Tuesday Teaser/Opening ~ The Help

I figured I was way overdue to read The Help by Kathryn Stockett, so I got a copy from the library and dug in. It's easy to see why it was the book everyone was talking about a few years ago.

The Blurb:
Aibileen is a black maid in 1962 Jackson, Mississippi, who's always taken orders quietly, but lately she's unable to hold her bitterness back. Her friend Minny has never held her tongue but now must somehow keep secrets about her employer that leave her speechless. White socialite Skeeter just graduated college. She's full of ambition, but without a husband, she's considered a failure. Together, these seemingly different women join together to write a tell-all book about work as a black maid in the South, that could forever alter their destinies and the life of a small town...

The First Paragraph:
Mae Mobley was born on an early Sunday morning in August, 1960. A church baby we like to call it. Taking care a white babies, that's what I do, along with all the cooking and  the cleaning. I done raised seventeen kids in my lifetime. I know how to get them babies to sleep, stop crying, and go in the toilet bowl before they mamas even get out a bed in the morning.

The Teaser:
When I started typing out her bathroom initiative for the newsletter, typing words like disease and protect yourself and you're welcome!, it was like something cracked open inside of me, not unlike a watermelon, cool and soothing and sweet. I always thought insanity would be a dark, bitter feeling, but it is drenching and delicious if you really roll around in it.


Tuesdays is a weekly bookish meme, hosted by MizB of Should Be Reading. Anyone can play along! Just do the following: Grab your current readOpen to a random pageShare two (2) “teaser” sentences from somewhere on that page. BE CAREFUL NOT TO INCLUDE SPOILERS! (make sure that what you share doesn’t give too much away! You don’t want to ruin the book for others!)Share the title & author, too, so that other TT participants can add the book to their TBR Lists if they like your teasers! To see what others are sharing on the Teaser Tuesdays, check the comments at:: http://shouldbereading.wordpress.com/ 


Share the first paragraph (or a few) from a book you are reading. Here's the link: Bibliophile By The Sea

16 comments:

  1. That's one book I have not gotten around to reading.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So I'm not the last person in the world to read it. I thought I was. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved this book...and the movie. It's been a while since I read this one, but I've seen the movie several times. Thanks for sharing...and for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, I'm pretty close to the last person to read this. Now I need to see the movie.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so glad you featured The Help today. I loved this book and the first paragraph brought it all back. I should re-read this one again. If you haven't seen the movie, I'd suggest checking out the dvd.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've wanted to read this one for awhile. I still haven't seen the movie either. Terrible, I know. LOL I hope you enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, someone else who's behind the curve. I don't feel so bad.

      Delete
  7. I LOVE the description of how insanity feels in this teaser. Sounds delicious and makes me want to go crazy with her!
    Here's My Teaser.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that too. So not how one expects it to feel.

      Delete
  8. Insanity doesn't sound too bad in this teaser! Thanks for commenting on mine http://hauntedisles.blogspot.co.uk/2014/09/teaser-tuesday-post-from-true-ghost.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. Now I'll recognize insanity. I've yet to read this.
    Here is my TT - http://fuonlyknew.com/2014/09/30/teaser-tuesdays-83-devil-music-by-carly-orosz/

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great post! I hope you enjoy The Help as much as I did :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I did not love this book as much as everybody else. Hope you are enjoying it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Awesome opener, though the teaser was a bit scary! Great picks! Thanks for stopping by! Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete